Sunday, August 8, 2010

Save Money Go Natural



       In a poor economy where jobs are hard to come by, black women are finding themselves in a whirlwind of financial hardship. Our devotion to the church, friends and family has us lending out money where sometimes we don’t have it to give. And while this devotion and eagerness to help out those in need is praiseworthy, this attitude of lending money and shopping compulsively is leaving black women behind in the race to financial freedom in the areas of stability, security and long-term savings.
      We haven’t quite given up our old spending habits to better accommodate the weakened state of our economy. In essence, we’re still buying what we want, when we want it and sometimes feeling guilty about it later, according to Rhonda Mims, president of the ING Foundation and senior vice president of ING's Office of Corporate Citizenship & Responsibility.
       In an article titled, “Where Do Most Black Women Spend Their Money?” it is argued that this risky behavior is a direct result of making purchases on credit. If we can’t physically see the money coming from our purses, we don’t really comprehend how much we’re spending.
      
Going natural seems to be sweeping the nation. We all know an auntie, cousin, or sister who has taken the oath to reconnect with her roots and embrace blackness. At first, I couldn’t understand why. Yall know that, that in between stage ain’t pretty and going natural brings on a whole new set of challenges like not feeling as cute, needing more variety in hairstyles and finding somebody who can handle that hair without complaining their fingers are getting cut and/or blistering. (Or maybe that’s just my hair) But it makes sense to me now.

      Going natural is inevitable for us all. For me, its only a matter of time because I can’t keep spending $75 to get a relaxer plus $15 to get it trimmed plus another $10 to get some treatment that we all know aint making a difference in our hair’s health anyway. And don’t forget you gotta tip the sista or brotha that did your hair at least $5 to keep them from jacking you up the next time you sit your healthy rump in their chair. Some of them still have the nerve to be looking crazy in the face when you hand them a five. Not-to- mention trying to keep up your look throughout the week; styling, biweekly washes, extensions. This ish is crazy expensive.
       According to an article on stylelist.com the average woman spends $50,000 on hair over the course of her lifetime. Is the creamy crack really worth all that? I guess, for now it is. I can’t quit just yet but, I’m near my breaking point.

1 comment:

  1. This post speaks to me. I have just made the decision to go natural especially after watching Good Hair by Chris Rock. It showed how the chemicals that are in relaxers are very unhealthy for our bodies. Not to mention the amount of money spent on all kinds of products and weaves. I dont know how far I will get with this going natural thing because my hair has been relaxed since I was 3 but I guess I will find out.

    ReplyDelete